Ukraine’s courageous fight against Russia’s invasion continues to inspire efforts across the cryptosphere and beyond, with former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly officially dropping his first-ever non-fungible token (NFT) to aid the Ukrainian war effort.
The piece, ‘Dreams Out of this World’, is rolled out today on the International Day of Human Space Flight, and 100% of the proceeds generated by its sale will be allocated to the Global Empowerment Mission to aid Ukraine’s fight against its invaders, according to a press release issued in relation to the event.
Content creation studio Orange Comet developed the NFT.
A former fighter jet pilot, Kelly orbited the Earth more than 8,300 times during his career at NASA. The American astronaut has traveled over 200 million miles, and flown over or traveled to many parts of the planet, the press release said.
In October 2015, Kelly set the record for the total accumulated number of days spent in space in what was the single longest space mission by a US astronaut, according to Orange Comet’s website.
Kelly said that,
“Similar to space travel, the metaverse might not seem accessible to the masses at present time. In addition to rekindling interest in space, I am most honored to be able to assist the people of Ukraine during their time of crisis by donating 100% of net proceeds from the initial sale to the Global Empowerment Mission.”
The astronaut further commented on his contribution to the effort to help the Ukrainian people, saying:
“My hope is that this NFT collection not only inspires those who opt into auction, but also uplift those who are going through the darkest time in human history.”
The NFT is available for purchase on the OpenSea marketplace starting today at 9 a.m. PT (4 p.m. UTC). The auction will be carried out over 72 hours.
– Crypto Helps Ukraine Defend Itself Against Russia’s Invasion, Here’s How You Can Contribute
– Ukraine Sells 1,282 War-Themed NFTs in One Day
– Crypto-Powered Ukrainian Charity Launches Debit Card for War Victims
– As More Russians Support Massacre in Ukraine, Here’s How Some Big Crypto Companies Respond
– Vitalik Buterin Makes Low-key USD 5M ETH Donations in Support of Ukraine
– Exclusive: How the Ukrainian Crypto Fundraising Started, How It’s Going, and What’s Next