Trading volumes in non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have taken a major dive, dropping nearly a 100% from their all-time high in January this year.
The trading volumes fell 97% from their record high, Bloomberg reported, citing data from Dune Analytics.
More precisely, they fell from $17 billion at the very beginning of 2022 to $466 million in September.
Meanwhile, according to NFT data aggregator CryptoSlam, over the past 24 hours, the top 5 NFT collections by sales volume include CryptoPunks, Sorare, Mutant Ape Yach Club (MAYC), Gods Unchained Immutable, and Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), respectively.
These have seen volumes between $5.7 million for CryptoPunks and $711,488 for BAYC.
Over the past 7 days, BAYC takes the first spot, with $9.5 million in sales, followed by MAYC’s $4.8 million. CryptoPunks is in 5th place, with $3.6 million.
Looking further, over the past 30 days, BAYC is still number one with sales totalling $34.5 million, while the all-time leader is Axie Infinity, with $4 billion. BAYC is second with $2.5 billion, relatively closely followed by CryptoPunks and MAYC.
Now, looking at these top projects individually, we find that between January 1 and September 29 (at noon UTC) all have recorded significant losses:
- CryptoPunks sales volume fell 96.7%,
- BAYC sales volume fell 98.6%,
- MAYC sales volume fell 98.9%,
- Sorare sales volume fell 50.8%,
- Gods Unchain Immutable sales volume fell 92.3%,
- Axie Infinity sales volume fell 99.3%.
CryptoPunks sales volume chart, January 1 – September 29:
“The fading NFT mania is part of a wider, $2 trillion wipeout in the crypto sector as rapidly tightening monetary policy starves speculative assets of investment flows,” Bloomberg noted.
That said, just yesterday, despite the bear market, somebody bought a CryptoPunk for ETH 3,300 ($ 4.35m).
– NFT Market Rises in a Day; Over USD 100M in NFTs Got Stolen in a Year, Says Elliptic
– Majority of NFT Collections Reinvest Ethereum Back Into System – Nansen
– Is Disney About to Make its Big Crypto Move into NFT, Metaverse and DeFi?
– LG Taps Hedera Hashgraph for NFT Platform, Tests Crypto Wallet